Search This Blog

Do I Need to Take My Rabbit to the Vet?

As a rabbit breeder, I get a lot of bunny-related questions from prospective buers. Each and every new rabbit-parent asks me a stream of questions about the dietary, habitat, and time requirements involved in bunny care. One of the most common questions I hear is, "Do I have to take it to the vet?"

Most responsible pet guardians know that a veterinary check-up is essential when you purchase a new cat or dog. However, I don't personally believe that a first-time vet visit or annual checkup is necessary for rabbits. Here are a few factors to consider when determining whether you should take your rabbit to the vet.
Rabbits don't need vaccines.
There are no widely available vaccinations for pet rabbits, and no laws require that pet rabbits receive immunizations of any kind Most states require that pet cats and dogs receive rabies vaccines, but these treatments are unnecessary for rabbits, since they would rarely, if ever, spread the rabies. You do not need to bring your bunny in for a round of shots as you might do for a cat or dog.
Bunnies don't usually get worms.
Puppies and kittens usually have to go to the vet at least once to be de-wormed, since intestinal parasites are extremely common in carnivores. However, harmful digestive parasites do not generally affect bunnies, guinea pigs or other herbivores. You do not have to take your rabbit to the vet to test for worms or to treat them.

Spaying and neutering are complex issues for rabbits.
Spaying and neutering are generally the responsible way to go when it comes to owning a pet. Given the notoriously prolific nature of rabbits, it may seem like a no-brainer choice to make. However, the cost of neutering a rabbit ranges from about $150-200 on average since they require special anesthesia. Most rabbit owners are simply unwilling to front that expense. I recommend simply keeping only rabbits of one sex unless you can afford neutering.
The ASPCA does recommend annual vet visits.
Although I know very few rabbit owners who take their bunnies to the vet for check-ups, the ASPCAdoes recommend doing so. A vet can evaluate your bunny for symptoms of disease and injury, and can also answer your questions about pet care. However, I have never personally never heard of a veterinarian diagnosing a rabbit with a disease when it was showing no symptoms.
Always go to the vet immediately if your bunny is sick.
In the wild, rabbits are easy prey, so they have evolved to show few or no signs of illness until they are on the brink of death. If your rabbit is showing signs of sickness, he needs immediate, life-saving medical care. Symptoms like diarrhea, no bowel movements, runny nose, red urine, and lethargy require immediate veterinary evaluation.

Know what's right for you.
If you're a first-time bunny owner and have questions about the well-being of your new ball of fluff, there's no harm in going to the vet for an evaluation. If you want to have your rabbit spayed or neutered, a vet's care is obviously essential. Although it isn't necessary for all rabbits to go to the vet, it's best to contact an expert any time that you are concerned about your bunny's health.

4 comments:

  1. This was really helpful i have a baby lop and i didn't know what to do so thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was wondering as i read (on another website) you have to bring your bunny/rabbit to the bet after 3 monthes of bunny care so i dont understand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so helpful. I just bought a Rex (I believe) Bunny and I was told my a family member that I needed to have it checked for Scabies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so helpful. I just bought a Rex (I believe) Bunny and I was told my a family member that I needed to have it checked for Scabies.

    ReplyDelete