Search This Blog

Why Your Rabbit Smells Like Skunk



When I rescued my pet rabbit Nimbus, I noticed a light, musky odor as soon as I brought him home. A quick inspection revealed that he had no open sores or other obvious underlying illnesses, and his behavior was normal for a rabbit. I decided to wait a few days, but the odor quickly become overwhelming.

No matter how much I bathed and brushed my pet rabbit, he smelled more and more like a skunk. Although the odor wasn't so severe as to be overwhelming or disgusting, I could tell that my rabbit smelled like a skunk every time I held him or got very close to him.
When the scent didn't dissipate after a few weeks in his new home, I called the veterinarian for advice. She informed me that rabbits, especially males, tend to emit a musky odor when they are trying to attract a mate. Nimbus had a skunky smell because he was feeling amorous toward me, his new owner. Male rabbits are most likely to smell like skunks when they are feeling affectionate or when it is mating season (spring).
If your rabbit smells like a skunk, it is probably because he is emitting his natural cologne. Even female rabbits will develop a musky aroma during the mating season. The odor should be mild and not overwhelming, but it can become very intense if your pet is kept full-time in a cage or not given adequate grooming.
To stop the skunky smell from your rabbit, your best option is to have it spayed or neutered. Although this will not always stop the smell entirely, it can deter your rabbit's amorous advances. If you have more than one rabbit, it is best to get them spayed and neutered immediatel. If you don't, they will become aggressive toward members of the same gender, or they'll start breeding like-- well rabbits.
For now, I'm allowing my Nimbus-- who does not live with other rabbit-- to continue smelling a bit skunky. However, I intend to have him neutered if the scent becomes more than a faint whiff noticed upon close-up cuddling. Consult your veterinarian about any questions you may have regarding your pet rabbit's health.

No comments:

Post a Comment